Friday, February 12, 2021

Chaplain Chronicles: Concluding Thoughts

The Chronicles are far from over, but as I write my 12th post on the 12th of February, the week of Lunar New Year, COVID has taken a backseat, and the hospital system is catching its breath, for now.

This week, I had my first Sunday away from patients since September, and I left Los Angeles County for the first time since before the Holidays, when I spent Thanksgiving in Orange County with my parents.

Santa Barbara was the perfect solo day trip destination for me, and I hit up several favorite spots from family vacations, rented a bike, journaled at a cafe patio, and visited the zoo.

It was only after soaking up the sunshine, and getting away from my work as a chaplain, that I was able to come back, and to revisit the stories I wanted to put into words.

I will write more, and in greater detail, about chaplaincy during the coronavirus in the days to come.  Perhaps my experiences will find their way into my Ph.D dissertation.

For now, though, I am finished.  Relieved, through the act of writing, of continuing to store these stories in my memory, afraid to release them because they are too special to be forgotten.

I honor the patients and families whose lives have touched mine, salute the brave medical staff who shouldered the brunt of the burden of care, and thank all who have taken time to read my thoughts.

This time of year, we hold hope for the future, while giving tribute to the past.  May this time of Reflection give rise to further Action, as I return to the hospital, ready to chaplain again.


No comments:

Post a Comment