Friday, July 23, 2021

Is it Too Much to Ask

 Is it too much to ask for a work environment that does not only allow for self-care, but also encourages and rewards it?

I am a "woman with a career," not a career woman.  In my teen years, I decided that my health was not worth any achievement. 

Along the way, different work bosses have noted my "potential" and said phrases like, "One day, when you're in my position..."

And that would be the first time that possibility would cross my mind.  In other words, I never sought out achievement.

Except for two things: I wanted to go to Yale, and I wanted a Ph.D.  Not for any particular end goal, but for personal enrichment.

My life has been fully enriched by both the academic degrees I've pursued and the jobs that have pursued me.  I hope I'm wiser for it too.

Wisdom and intellectual insight are things that no one can ever take away from you, and they are gifts rather than accomplishments.

It is not too much to ask for what we need from our bosses.  It takes courage, and it takes a strong commitment to the gifts that wisdom has to offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment