Monday, June 30, 2014

Why They Cry

Some thoughts as images from my farewell to my residents continue to play through my mind:


They cry because I leave them, and it hurts to be left behind.

They cry because they hug me, and when bodies touch, tears flow.

They cry because they see their friends crying, and once one person breaks down with emotion, the tears become contagious.

They cry because when one thing makes you cry, you sometimes end up crying for other things that you never got to cry over in the past.

They cry because they hear music, for music touches hearts in ways that words cannot, and it releases pent-up emotions that need to come out.


Conscious closure allows for people to cry in safe settings, and crying becomes a cleansing for the soul.  


They cry because I leave them, and I cry because I am leaving them.  We cry together because we allow ourselves to feel things and be human, and our shared human experience has given us the opportunity to say farewell through music, touch, and tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment