Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Solitary Adventures

Few things bring me greater pleasure than a solitary adventure.

Summer evenings in New Haven lend themselves to many fine walks--up East Rock, over to Edgerton Park, and along Mill River.  Tonight, there was an after-rain mist, thick enough to make the houses along St. Ronan Street look like paintings.  I felt as if I were walking through a Thomas Kinkade gallery come to life--or if I had jumped through chalk drawings like Mary Poppins and Jane and Michael.

The one thing thing that reminded me that I was not in a dream was the presence of pesky mosquitoes.  That, and the wide smile on my face as I reveled in the quietness of my own company and the peace of an evening sunset.  My facial muscles almost hurt from how hard I was smiling.

Work had been quite busy and productive.  After work, there was a dinner put on by my Summer Fellowship to which all Presidential Fellows and their supervisors were invited.  I got to chat more with my supervisor and to see other leaders in New Haven's non-profit community.  What a cool opportunity to be a part of community-building in a city that I love.

Since 2009 I have not lived in one place for more than 2 years, but that only means that I have people and places that I keep in touch with and visit.  Compared to some of my peers I have not traveled widely, but I have had the pleasure of living in places that I can truly call home.  Perhaps I was meant to experience my 20s like this--moving somewhere by myself, building community, and--as I was reminded of tonight--taking long walks full of joy, imagination, and reflection.

Long drives alone suit me too.  I still remember making a 7-hour drive from Womelsdorf, Pennsylvania to Akron, Ohio about 6 years ago, passing through green countryside that was on its way to autumn. When I lived in the Bay Area, I'd sometimes drive across the San Mateo Bridge at night, just for fun. And I'll never forget the time I drove from SoCal to NorCal, with my belongings in my car and the next step of my future seeming to extend just beyond the I-5 freeway.

Who knows how long I will call New Haven home.  Being halfway through my degree brings me thoughts and questions of my future calling and career.  I can see myself staying here for a while, continuing to involve myself in my church and staying somewhat attached to the Divinity School community.  I appreciate the challenges and strengths of this small city, and my heart thinks often about the various neighborhoods of which it is comprised.

Yale can be a bubble, but it is not a bubble in which I am happy to remain.  Even during the school year, my heart longed to go beyond its Ivy-covered boundaries.  For while I am grateful to be at my Dream School, it is the City that houses it that makes this place home to me.  New Haven, I loved you from the start, and I can only hope that my time here is beneficial for the both of us.










No comments:

Post a Comment