Saturday, June 20, 2015

Saturday Evening in New Haven

This evening, I attended a showcase of the 2015 Dwight/Edgewood Project, "a joint community outreach program of Yale Repertory Theater and Yale School of Drama" in which middle schoolers participate in a four-week after-school playwriting program.  I went to support one of my friends from my summer fellowship who was part of the project and enjoyed seeing performances of young playwright's scripts.

Afterwards, my friend (another fellow who attended the performance) and I walked over to the New Haven Green, where Kurt Elling was performing with the New Haven Symphony Orchestra.  It was raining, and my shoes and jacket were soaked.  I normally hate being out in the rain, but something about the jazz vocal performance made the weather seem rather romantic.  As the performance concluded, I overheard a lady say she couldn't wait to hop into a hot shower as soon as she got home.

As I made my way back to where I'd parked my car, I passed by the corner of First and Summerfield, where my church is located.  A ring of people stood under the porch, and I recognized familiar faces, immediately realizing that this must be a prayer meeting for the recent shootings in South Carolina. I joined the circle, grateful for this chance encounter and an opportunity to pray with my spiritual community.  The meeting ended with us holding hands and singing "We shall overcome."

My body was wet, but the chill did not seep into my bones.  Eventually, I reached my car and made it back home, kicking off my shoes and heading straight into the shower.  A cup of hot chocolate followed, and then, I sat down to do some blogging...

No comments:

Post a Comment