Saturday, August 30, 2014

Life in New Haven

For my first 10 days in New Haven, I was car-less.  My beloved car, Fred, was being driven/towed/"shipped" cross-country, with 100 pounds of stuff in his trunk.  In the meantime, gracious people gave me rides to the grocery store, and campus shuttles were also helpful.  But I greatly missed the independence that driving affords, and I couldn't wait for Fred to join me in New Haven.

Finally, I got a call from the driver who was bringing Fred to me.  My friend Ann (also a 1st year student at Yale Divinity School--YDS for short) gave me a ride to the place where the driver was to meet me, and then, I was behind the steering wheel again.


Almost immediately, Fred became something I could share with my newfound friends here at YDS.  In the week that I've had a car again, I have given people rides from church to dinner, from campus to the athletic fields for soccer practice, from the apartment buildings to the park for evening Shakespeare performances, and both to the train station and from the airport.  I feel that, because I had been without a car for a few days, I am much more sympathetic to those without cars.

May my car continue to be used in ways that can bless others during my time in New Haven!!

In other news:

Classes have begun, and it's both overwhelming and exciting at the same time.

And, yesterday, I played both soccer and ultimate frisbee with people in the Divinity School--that was fun!

'Till next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment