Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Women's March

This past weekend, I attended the Women's March on Washington with four of my friends.

As an introverted old soul who loves sleep, needs down time, dislikes crowds, and is worn out by travel, it really took some convincing for me to go--especially since I was already out of town the weekend before. I also wasn't sure how to feel about the controversy surrounding the march.  I'm pro-life and a woman of color, and the march had been criticized by both groups.  Saturday was also my birthday, and I felt a bit sad that I would not be able to spend the day connecting with friends and family over Skype or phone.

Ultimately, the clincher was knowing that I would regret not going--and feeling a call to go as a woman of God.  I have gone to several other political events in the past--from picketing abortion clinics in Colorado in 2003 to a pro-traditional marriage rally at LA City Hall (which my mom helped organize) in 2008 to a Black Lives Matter march in New Haven in 2014--so this was just another (more historic and large-scale) event for me.  For me, it was a pro-woman rather than an anti-new-administration rally--and a wonderful way to spend my 31st birthday.  Trump was the last person on my mind, actually.

The day before the march, I wrote to a friend:

I'd like to host the presence of God with every step I take and to feel the atmosphere in a historic moment in American history.  I don't know if I'll get the chance to be with so many other women again on a national scale, in a setting and event that was conceived of and orchestrated by women.  We live in a man's world, so I didn't want to pass up a women's event.  I'm excited to go and learn and watch.  I have a feeling I'll see things that don't sit well with me, but I want to be there.  For me, showing up is everything.

After an 8-hour day at work on Friday, I spent just as much time in the car in order to get from Massachusetts to Maryland. My friends totally made it possible for me to not have to drive, and they allowed me to sleep on the way.  They know and understand me enough to give me space when my introvert needs a moment, so not once did I feel drained.  The weekend was epic and exhausting, but it was one of my best birthdays and one I'll never forget.

Monday was less difficult than imagined, but at the end of the day I wondered how I'd make it through the rest of the week.  After dinner, I spent time on a homework assignment (for a class I'm auditing at Boston College School of Theology and Ministry) and then went to bed at 8 pm.  All I could think of was making it to the next weekend.

Today, at 5:30 am, I awoke to a notification about work being cancelled due to inclement weather. So it looks like I do get a day off after all!  I've reached out to friends in Africa and Europe--who've been waiting for a chance to Skype for a while, but finding it difficult due to time differences--and I called my grandparents.  I'm excited to be able to catch up with friends that I would have over the weekend.  God's mercies are new every morning, and (s)He does make a way when we obey!

No comments:

Post a Comment