Monday, January 12, 2015

But Seriously...

Classes started today, and I settled right back into seeing friends at school, giving and receiving hugs, and laughing heartily in a spirit of camaraderie.

But already, I sense a more serious undertone to this second semester at Yale Divinity School, and this is due to a few things, I suppose.

First: I already have a semester under my belt.  I'm no longer elated simply because I'm back in school again.  This is my new reality, and I want to go somewhere with it.

Second: last semester awakened me to new possibilities and interests.  Along with wholeheartedly embracing my newfound community here, I also dared to envision my future with my mind and spirit.

Third: I think I'm going to be taking some very good courses this semester, taught by some very good professors.  And it just so happens that all the classes I'm choosing to take are taught by individuals of color, women, or both!

Fourth: I feel as if this is the semester where I discover whether I'm "cut out" for certain things in which I suspect I have an interest--but am not sure.  So I need to take the reading seriously and let the material sink in deeply.  How the material engages with the way I'm wired just might indicate where my path might lead after graduation.

So, to remind myself of this, I've put a magnet up on my refrigerator, a magnet which I purchased back in the summer but did not bring with me to New Haven until this most recent trip back from winter break.  Now, it seems to be just the right message at just the right time:


No comments:

Post a Comment