Friday, January 9, 2015

Outgoing ≠ Extrovert

I saw this article on Facebook the other day, and it made a lot of sense (although some of the language is a bit strong).  Most of my friends know I'm an introvert because I bring it up frequently, but perhaps if I didn't say, I might get by posing as an extrovert.  Call it being a relational introvert who has outgoing qualities and the personal warmth of a Southern Californian, which I think might stand out in a Divinity School in New England more than in other environments.  :)

Even though I don't "present" as so much of an outgoing person in SoCal, I think it still factors into my social life.  One day during my winter break visit, I scheduled 5 back-to-back appointments with people.  Each meet-up was pleasant and good, but when I got home, my body felt wound up and stressed and I almost felt like crying.  What a blessing that people like spending time with me, but what an unfortunate thing that I only have so much to give!  If I weren't such a relational being, I probably would not maintain as many friendships as I do.  But I do value people, and I'll always live with the tension of wanting space to myself and understanding the importance of connecting.  Yes, I'm outgoing, but I'm not quite an extrovert.  And I'm glad that the distinction exists, because it allows me to call myself an outgoing introvert :)

No comments:

Post a Comment