Thursday, September 18, 2014

My Facebook Status for Today:

Tips for being a student:
1) Break up reading into smaller chunks rather than trying to do it all at once
2) Stand up for periods of time while reading--better circulation and breathing
3) Cook yourself a nice meal in the middle of a long stretch of reading
4) Go out for a walk to clear your head
5) Open the windows to get fresh air
6) Breathe 
#5 and #6 came from a conversation with Sari Sarah and Kevin A. McKoy
‪#‎YaliesNeverTooSmartforBasicReminders‬

We have just finished week 4 of classes at the Div school, and reading is getting heavier by the day.  Papers and midterms also loom on the horizon, so I decided to remind myself of ways that I stay sane as a student by way of a Facebook status update.  (There's a saying in Chinese--and I'm sure in English, too--that the best way to reinforce or review something is to share or teach it to others).

I'll add here that everyone has specific ways they study (or don't study).  A few of my individualized study preferences include:

I can't study with music on.  With the exception of Gregorian chants--sometimes.  My ears are way too sensitive.

It's hard to study in a library.  I love the atmosphere, but I feel a bit cloistered.  Plus, there's no fresh air!

It's also hard to study outdoors.  I've tried, because I love the outdoors.  Problem is, it's just too wonderful, and I get easily distracted by sunlight, foliage, and critters.

So, I study in my room, with the windows open and no music on :)

One of my favorite meals to cook for myself: pork chops and string beans!
I also love to start cooking at 4 and have dinner at 5!



2 comments:

  1. Tips for being an office worker:

    1) Break up work into smaller chunks, then smaller chunks, then even smaller chunks until you forget what you're supposed to be doing.
    2) Stand up and walk over to other people's desks to bother them.
    3) Make continuous trips down to the company kitchen throughout the day.
    4) Sneak out for unhealthy alternatives to the company's healthy cafe.
    5) Open the windows to get wafts of scents from what's cooking downstairs.
    6) Breathe, because otherwise you'll die.
    #EmployeesNeverTooHardToSlackOff

    ReplyDelete