Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Relational Introvert, Emphasis Introvert

Being back in school has provided me with the kind of organic community that I'd been missing and longing for ever since college ended.  Social interactions around campus are fluid and friendly, and the structure of class and chapel and special seminars creates space for meaningful dialogue.  On weeknights and weekends, I even venture outside of campus with friends, bonding quickly and easily as we explore New Haven, run errands together, or embark on an ambitious day trip to Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

As relational as I am, though, I cannot escape the fact that I am an introvert.

Being around people, no matter how intelligent, sensitive, and wonderful they are, ultimately drains my battery.  And after consecutive days of lively and fun social interactions, I'm pooped.  Amidst spending time with my friends, I've also neglected the most important Friend of all.  Sure, I've kept my internal conversation with Him going all throughout my daily moments.  But I haven't really sat down with Him and given Him undivided attention for a few days, and it hurts.  My emotions feel raw and numb at the same time, and I miss Him.

At least two things are going on here: I need to exercise some self-care and alone-time tonight; but more importantly, I need to spend a chunk of time with my best Friend, the only One who never drains me.  After driving my friends around New Haven and New England, I need to quiet my heart and stay put in His love and presence.

So that's what I'm going to do now.  I'm going to close my computer lid, and I'm going to crack open the cover of  the Word and commune with the Word become Flesh.



No comments:

Post a Comment