Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Relational Introvert, Emphasis Relational

I think I write about introversion a bit too much.  Please don't get the impression that I don't like people :)

I love walking around the Divinity school and running into people I know.  I love even the simplest human interaction of smiling at someone.

The last two Fridays, I've not really done any schoolwork or any introverted recharging.  I was too busy playing soccer, playing ultimate frisbee, swing dancing, and attending Shakespeare in the Park with friends.

I really enjoy my weekly shopping trips to WalMart and the grocery store with my roommate and find that it's a really neat time for us to be together.

As an auditory learner and a relational learner, I absorb class-related information when hearing a lecture or having a discussion about the material.  I can't just rely on solitary times of reading.

Hmmm…what else?  I'm kind of dorky, kind of silly, and I look way younger than my age.

I've really enjoyed getting to know different people at YDS and taking people up on their invitations to hang out.  It's amazing to me how quickly I've connected with certain people here and how eager I am to get to know more of my colleagues.  For while I love this opportunity to study a subject that fascinates me, I believe that I can learn just as much outside of the classroom through social interactions with my friends.  As long as it's not stagnant small talk and pointless hanging out, then I'm game.  (And I suspect that my fellow Divvies feel the same).

I've also been so blessed to have found a church in New Haven to call my spiritual home.  I think that cooking for/contributing to a church potluck pretty much shows that I have some level of commitment there!  And I'll probable be visiting a church small group sometime soon as well.

So really, I do love people, and I love relating to them in fun and meaningful ways.  It's just that, sometimes, I need to be with just me too, so that I the introvert within can be recharged in order to continue being relational :)

No comments:

Post a Comment