Sunday, February 14, 2016

Proud to be a Feminist

In college, I refused to identify as a feminist.  It just seemed like a buzzword that everybody was using to sound cool.  I wanted kids and a family, and I believed some rather "fundamentalist" things about marriage and submission.  I was truly trying to follow God's truth back then, and I took a lot of crap for standing my ground.

Now that I'm 30, I know for sure that I am a feminist.  Personal experiences, theological explorations, and discussions with my family have led to this "change."  I've come to value women and the importance of empowering women to live with freedom and courage.  More importantly, I believe that God is a feminist.

I've become much happier after adjusting my theological views about women in the church and in society.  It's actually freed me up to become more vulnerable, giving, and humble.  And I don't resent male privilege as much anymore--or use passive-aggressive ways to combat it.  My friendships with men have become deeper and richer.

You see, feminism doesn't just empower women--it encourages and inspires men, too.  The most important men in my life appreciate that I am a strong woman and both support me and ask for my support.  It's not a competition between the sexes.*  It's a way of mutual encouragement and inspiration.

I'm proud to be a feminist--are you?


*I recognize that not everyone falls into the gender binary.  At YDS I have become more aware of Trans-issues, but I still need to learn more before writing about them.  For now, I just want to acknowledge my own limitations in writing--I'm still very much influenced by the framework of either female or male.

No comments:

Post a Comment