Wednesday, February 10, 2016

This is the Day that the Lord has Made

The day is finally here--I give my presentation at the Institute of Sacred Music Colloquium this afternoon.

They didn't let me in the first time, this mysterious institution that we call the ISM.  I was waitlisted, and met plenty of folks in it who felt that I deserved the spot.  So I reapplied and was able to transfer in my second year--and have enjoyed the (ridiculously luxurious) perks of additional funding and a free trip to the Baltics in a few months.

It seems that several of the people I have invited will be able to attend my presentation--Katherine Blossom, Arts Director at Connecticut Hospice, whom I interviewed for my project; Kyle Skinner, a doctoral candidate at Yale who taught my ritual studies course last semester; Pastor Tim from Bethesda Lutheran Church, where I live; and peers and staff from the Divinity School who are not in the ISM.

Afterwards, there will be a dinner to celebrate the completion of this (major) ISM requirement before I graduate, hosted by two very good friends.

Even as I look forward to this afternoon--rather, to this afternoon being finished--I revel in some good news from yesterday.  My spiritual director, whom I met through the Elm City Vineyard, is now in the process of being incorporated into the list of paid (by the school and not students) Spiritual Directors at YDS!  All it took was a few emails on my part to link her up with the right people, and the rest fell into place.  This means that, finally, we'll have someone more Evangelical (even Pentecostal!) on our Spiritual Formation team.

This winter has been kind to me, and I'm grateful.  It's a season of rest after battle, and the fruits of our labors are slowly seeping out in unexpected corners.  I attended a birthday party last night, with friends of all colors, shapes and sizes.  Some of the most conflict-ridden relationships from last semester were there, and we were able to come around our friend who has been a peacemaker and my advocate (when others have unfairly accused me).

So I'm grateful, and humbled by Grace.

I've gone the extra mile to work towards reconciliation (especially between races) at YDS, and the climate is slowly changing, the tension gradually melting away.  I've prayed for the Asian students to finally sit up and speak up, and it seems that they are becoming more visible and active this semester. All last year, I whispered (or groaned), "Lord, have mercy" upon waking up, and it seems that He has.  He takes forever to respond sometimes, but when He does, it's perfect.

This is the day that the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment