Sunday, February 14, 2016

Proud to be a Pentecostal

When asked what my "particular faith tradition is" at YDS, I often resort to "non-Denominational Protestant."  More specifically, "basically Evangelical with some Charismatic things mixed in."

The more I journey through faith in this context, though, the more I feel like identifying as a Pentecostal.  There really is something about including the third member of the Trinity--the Holy Spirit--that is very important.

I've always been in tune with some of the more "Spirit-filled" aspects of faith--and even had prophetic inclinations in certain seasons.  Grounded in Scripture, faith that follows the Spirit and emphasizes the love of Jesus is a good thing.

I don't know if I could have survived YDS without my fellow Pentecostals, with whom I've prayed and shared many meals.  It's so nice to have this as a "home base," even as I have absolutely loved the ecumenism of YDS and the chance to be around mainline Protestants and more high-church liturgy.

Perhaps the next time someone asks me what denomination I belong to, I might just say, "I'm Pentecostal!"

No comments:

Post a Comment